Are you still running Exchange 2007?

Then it is about time you start planning for a transition to a newer version of Exchange Server. Why you might ask, it is still working ok. Well, the extended support for Exchange Server 2007 ends in 2017-04-11, in other words, just one year left!

There are some things you need to take in consideration, one big and quite essential point is that you cannot go to Exchange 2016 Server directly. Microsoft only support migration from Exchange Server two versions old, so since you are on that old platform you will have to go to either 2010 or 2013 before you can move on to 2016.

But there is not really something you need to worry about, it is quite straight forward and manageable, even if it does take some time to perform. There is also quite a lot of tools you can use, BinaryTree, Dell, MigrationWiz and CodeTwo, to name a few, all have tools that can help you on your way.

If you want more information regarding the support you can have a look here.



Exchange Server 2013 Service Pack 1 Released!

Yesterday Microsoft released Service Pack 1 for Exchange Server 2013. There are quite a lot of news and the Exchange Team got it well covered here.

If you want to get started directly you can download Service Pack 1 here.

Good luck and happy installing!

Receive Connector IP Range Manager – Beta 1.0

So I have this project… :)

I thought it was time to release a script, or more an application since it got forms, that I have been working on. I bet many of you need to add and remove IP-addresses and ranges from the relay receive connectors in your environment to maintain some sort of security? Well there are scripts out there that one can use but they can be a bit tricky. So a while ago I decided to create a forms based one and make it easier.

More information and a download link can be found here, but I suggest that you read the entire post before running it.

It now supports both Exchange Server 2010 and 2013!

The Tool

So what can you do with this tool? In short, you can edit all of your receive connectors at the same time either manually or using one of the receive connectors as a template.

This is just a normal PS1 file and you start it as a usual PowerShell script: .\RCIPRManager.ps1.
When the tool starts it gathers information on receive connectors and the ip range lists, no editing is done so there is no harm in starting the tool and checking it out. Its not until you click Save that any editing is done. When open, you can choose which receive connector to load ip ranges from, then add and remove rows as you wish. When done multiple target receive connectors can be selected and when you click Save the ip ranges listed will be written to the target receive connectors.


This is a beta, not everything will be working as intended even tough I have tested the tool quite thoroughly in a number of different environments. As usual the script is provided “AS IS” with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

Final notes

Feel free to use the tool, share it and alter it. But please do not claim it as your own, be sure to include a reference to this blog and if you make any changes or fix any errors I would be very happy if you post them as a comment so that all of us can benefit from your findings and knowledge. Thanks in advance!

If you need any assistance just let me know and I will be happy to help!

Exchange Server 2013 RTM CU 1 Released!

Great news today, Microsoft has released Exchange Server 2013 RTM Cumulative Update 1 and you can find it here. But before you install the CU there is a number of things you need to be aware of. Here is a short list of some of the points to consider:

  • This is a full build, that means that when installing a new server you do not need the RTM media. You can simply install using only the CU.
  • Active Directory Preparation need to be done, this includes /PrepareSchema, /PrepareAD and /PrepareDomain.
  • To upgrade from Exchange 2013 RTM run setup.exe /m:upgrade.
    Read the full release notes here (will be made available 2013-04-03).

    Microsoft Sender ID Framework SPF Record Wizard

    There is a lot of different great posts out there that describes SPF and how to create the records. But not so many posts that refers to the Sender ID Framework SPF Record Wizard provided by Microsoft.

    Have a look at the wizard if you are planning to implement SPF, it provides the option to easily generate all SPF records you need. It can be found here!

    Exchange 2013 RTM CU1 preliminary release date is April 2nd.

    According to a post from the Exchange, the release date for Exchange 2013 RTM CU1 is currently planned for April 2nd. Great news even though it is a bit delayed. I am very much looking forward to this and I know that many of you are as well.

    I will post as soon as there are any updates on this, here is the original post:

    One-liner to export all email addresses to CSV

    This command exports all email addresses for all users in the organization:

    Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Select-Object DisplayName, SamAccountName, PrimarySmtpAddress, @{Name="EmailAddresses";Expression={$_.EmailAddresses | Where-Object {$_.PrefixString -ceq "smtp"} | ForEach-Object {$_.SmtpAddress}}} | Export-CSV c:\EmailAddresses.csv -NoTypeInformation -Encoding Unicode

    If you want to narrow it down a bit you could add either a Where or narrow the scope sown to a specific OU as in the following example:

    Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited -OrganizationalUnit "sundis.local/Test/Users" | Select-Object DisplayName, SamAccountName, PrimarySmtpAddress, @{Name="EmailAddresses";Expression={$_.EmailAddresses | Where-Object {$_.PrefixString -ceq "smtp"} | ForEach-Object {$_.SmtpAddress}}} | Export-CSV c:\EmailAddresses.csv -NoTypeInformation -Encoding Unicode

    Let me know if you have any questions!